Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Life Happens

Well, it's been almost a week since my last post. Sorry about that! I've been busy with work and LIFE.

And today is a very, very sad day in my house. My father-in-law died this morning. He was 84 years young. He had been in and out of the hospital for about three months now, originally going in for blood clots which caused him to lose his second leg. (The first he lost about 10 years ago, due to the same reason.) The blood clots were the result of him smoking cigarettes his entire life. His doctor suggested he stop smoking after he lost his first leg, but he was a very stubborn man and chose to "live his life the way he wanted." He knew what could happen.

Not only did he have blood clots and "normal" elderly sicknesses, but he had gotten very bad bed sores. My mother-in-law is 74 and also has a deteriorating health system, which has caused her to lose a lot of strength. That resulted in her not being able to properly care for her husband, and then the bed sores happened.

The doctors had told us that he was a fighter. That they had not seen anybody else in his health condition fight it so hard. He wanted to live. And my husband and I thoroughly believe that he was trying to hold on to life until February, when our baby comes.

So this post is dedicated to you, Friedrich, whom I lovingly called "papa" when I spoke to him. REST IN PEACE. We know you'll be watching over us.


This is the only photo that I have my my father-in-law and I together. This is also one of the very rare photos taken of him that he was SMILING in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment