Our Story

Everyone always asks how I ended up in Germany. Well, here is the story:

Back in January 2008 I was single and not exactly looking for a relationship, as I had just left my ex-boyfriend three months prior. I was, however, looking for fun. I mean, who isn't when they are 21 years old?! After I left my ex, I moved back in with my parents to figure out if I was going to save money for my own place, or whatever. I had a full-time job working as a Legal Secretary for my local county counsel's office, which also meant that I had plenty of money for myself. I had my own car, my own bills, and my own life.

In January I met a girl on Myspace (haha) that was very friendly, lived in my town, and just wanted to hang out. So, I did want any other single girl would do: Call her up, get her address, go pick her up, and take her out dancing on a Friday night.

We were dancing and having a good time at the best bar in the small ass town that we lived in. I saw a guy sitting in the corner just watching us dance that I thought looked pretty damn good. Again, me being the single, crazy girl that I was, I walked over and grabbed his hand, and led him out on the dance floor, in the middle of my friend and I. We sort of "sandwiched" him on the dance floor and had tons of fun. He didn't really talk, but from the few words that I did hear from him was that he was German, his English was not very good, and he was drunk. Very drunk.

After dancing for a while, we went to a table and had another drink with him, his brother, and his brother's wife. It turned out he was on vacation from Germany and visiting his brother, who happened to live in the same small ass dinky little town we lived in. Small world! (His brother was married to an American and they have a child together.) We didn't hang out for too long with his brother before he declared he was going home with his wife, and he asked me to drive his brother home! Ummmm, you live where?! haha. So I got his address and declared myself the "DD" from then on out, and the other two were drinking.

We bar hopped for a while, heading to a new bar in town, and a bar that I later became very good friends of the owner with. We ended up having a really good evening, and while his English was definitely far from perfect, we could communicate perfectly fine. At the end of the night, I drove my friend home, and then drove him to his brother's house. We ended the night with a kiss and exchanged phone numbers.

A couple of days later I got a text from him.. The first of many texts! In fact, we texted all week long. He wanted to hang out again while he was on vacation, and I had absolutely no problem with that!

One day after work, I had to get the rear driver side window in my car replaced. (Random drive by with a pellet gun hit my car and about 5 others on my street!) I told him that I was driving to a glass repair place and if he wanted to come, he was more than welcome. He said he would love to come, as his brother was working most of the time, and he was spending his days sitting on the couch in front of the tv. Exciting! Not.. So I took him with me to get my window replaced and that ended up being our first "date" of many. 

About a week later, it was obvious that his brother was not going to do anything "special" with him, other than sit at home and BBQ. (Which is WAY better in the USA, however, he wanted to do more than sit at home.) So he ended up coming to my parents house and staying with me in my bedroom for about a month!

It seemed really silly at first, however, it really gave my parents a chance to meet the guy that I was essentially dating, that was 14 years my senior! Yes, you read that right. I found out about a week after we had been dating that he was 14 years older than me! I thought he was lying. He was not. I thought Daaaaaamn boy! You look good for 35! hehe.

In any case, Uwe (pronounced oo-vay) met my parents, and both of my sisters. He stayed with me/us for about a month before having to come back to Germany.. to his children! He had two sons from his previous marriage! Now if that doesn't scare off most people, I don't know what will. But I knew this guy was a keeper, and he treated me right, so there was no way I was just going to decide he wasn't the one based purely on his age or his children. (who's ages are 12 and 15 at the time.) Uwe had to go back to Germany in the first week of March 2008. That was killer! We had no idea when we would see each other again but we knew that we wanted to be together. He said that he wanted to move to California to be with me, and be closer to his brother.

After his return to Germany, I spent my time after work looking up ways online for us to be together. I Google'd days in and out on the proper and legal way to make him moving to California happen. I thought I had found the way to make it work, but a month later our worlds came crashing down.

His older son had cancer - Lymphoma Cancer. There was no way he was going to move to California while his son had cancer, and there was no way I was going to make him.

Another long, sad, and painful 3 months later, we had decided that we were going to be together no matter what and that I would move to Germany. I loved him and he loved me and we both knew that we were meant to be together. I had worked my ass off to pay OFF all of my bills, get shit in boxes, and paperwork done and ready to go. In July 2008 I said goodbye to life as I once knew it, my sisters, my pets, and my parents drove me to the San Francisco Int'l Airport. I never thought I would cry when I left, as I had dreamed about moving far, far away for a long time, but leaving my parents was hard. After some hugs and tears, I hopped on a plane and flew to Germany.

July 19 was the day I arrived in Germany. After a 12 hour flight, I slowly followed the signs in the airport to the exit, upon which, I was greeted by Uwe with a hug and a kiss. Emotions flew and I knew I was in the right place again: his arms.

Another 5 hours later on the Autobahn (interstate), which normally would have been 3, but there was a ridiculous amount of traffic and construction, I finally made it to my new "home." I was greeted by my soon-to-be stepsons, and almost all of Uwe's family, which is pretty damn big considering he is one of 8 children.

After that,  my day was a blur, however, the next few months were not. My first few months in Germany were bliss. I knew I was right where I needed to be. On October 10, 2008 we were married and I received my residence permit which allows me to live in Germany.

It is now 3 years later and I couldn't be happier. I have the love of my life by my side, two stepsons, a super awesome dog, and a baby growing in my belly. I don't regret any of the choices we made.


  1. Loved your love story. Sounds like quite an adventure and such a sweet way to find the one you're meant to be with. Glad to have found your blog!

  2. What a touching story!